Beauty products: reviews, swatches, good tips and everything related ...

1/21/15

SunShine Disease ... in the Country of Sun !!!

Wondering what is SunShine Disease? Well bare with me and you will know more about it.


My story started more than 4 years ago. A huge pain in my back and neck that I explained as a drawback of sitting for long hours working on my DataBase project (The old Days of my undergrad in Al Akhawayn University).


Being not a big fan of doctors, I hesitated months before I take an appointment (even after I go to an appointment I never follow up. Like father like daughter lol).

So, in Morocco, the Dr give me several physiotherapy sessions, told me that I have a bending angle in my back (don't remember any of that medical jargon) and I should stop sitting in front of my computer (one thing that made me laugh so hard as an Engineer, I almost wanted him to call my professors and ask them to stop giving me projects :p ). Bottom line of the story, I took my fear aside and spent even more time in front of my computer as a master and now as a PhD student.


Obviously the pain was getting more intense and as expected I didn't visited the Dr. I noticed for last few month that I was having more and more pain, this time not in my back and neck only but all over my feet and hands (In others words: at every bone of my body. I felt like 100 years old every time I needed to move). NOW I FREAKED OUT --------------> DIRECTION?!!!!!!---------> Dr of course :p

X-rays for every single place seemed like a normal choice ... but blood test for Vitamin D (VD)? that I didn't see it coming. What is Vitamin D first? AAHHHHHH I remember that milk advertisement showing calcium fixing the Vitamin D (resulting of the skin being exposed to the sunlight) on the bones. I laughed inside and told myself he is crazy this Dr, I'm from Morocco: sun is there more that 200 days in the year. And worst I'm living in Saudia Arabia sun is here all year long. Plus I love milk I drink it everyday.



Well on the day of the follow up (because this time I went hahaha) I was worried it is a bone cancer (it felt more probable than VD). Well guess what !!! I turned out to have an extreme Vitamin D deficiency. My VD level is 9 nanograms/milliliter:
  • A level of 20 nanograms/milliliter to 50 ng/mL is considered adequate for healthy people (some say more than 50 ng/mL is the adequate, research still didn't agree I guess). 
  • A level less than 12 ng/mL indicates vitamin D deficiency. (So you can see how bad it is for me :( )
To know more about the signs and the reasons to having low levels of VD Check Here

Obviously I was chocked, but definitely I needed to know more about what do I risk and how to increase that level. (In few words: Get exposed to the sun 10 to 15 minutes a day without sun screen (no exaggeration not to cause skin cancer), incorporate at least 1/2 litter of milk a day (free fat, for weight monitoring and acne), and eat a more fish, liver and eggs).


(dermaharmony.com)

As a busy lady, my diet has been neglected for years, I'm thankful for this medical condition that I do consider as a wake up call. I'm studying now the options of including more milk and fruits through smoothies (I can write an article about this), exploring almond and soy milk, having fish at least 3 times a week, and enjoying sun more often (no more shadow tracking, but always wearing a HAT).

Dear Jamilates, get your blood tested for VD and solve it before it is too late. Wishing you a healthy and happy life :)


 Enjoy the video to know more ...

No comments:

Post a Comment